This easy, flavorful, and perfectly cooked African classic dish, Jollof (Jellof) rice, is made even simpler by baking it in the oven. It’s perfect for regular nights or special occasions!
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 1 hr 15 mins
Total: 1 hr 20 mins
* 3-4 tablespoon (42ml-56ml) vegetable oil
* 1 medium onion, diced (red or white onion)
* 2 teaspoons (1.6g) fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon (1g) dried thyme
* 1 tablespoon (8g) garlic, or 2½ teaspoon (9.7g) garlic powder
* 3 cups (591g) rice, long-grain, uncooked rice (I used basmati)
* 1 tablespoon (7g) paprika
* 2 teaspoons (4g) chicken bouillon
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 1 14-ounce can of tomato puree or sauce
* 4 cups (1,000ml) chicken broth or water, 5¼ cups for stovetop
* 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, or ¾ teaspoon hot pepper (omit if cooking for kids)
* 1 pound (453.59g) of vegetables, peas, carrots, green beans, or corn (optional)
Parsley, for garnishing
* Preheat oven to 350℉/177℃. Rinse the rice with water and drain.
* In a half-sheet pan (approx. 13″x18″x 2½”), combine all ingredients and stir so that everything is fully incorporated.
* Cover tightly with aluminium foil paper. Double the foil if you can because it helps cook faster.
* Gently place in the oven and cook for about 70-80 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven and check after 70 minutes. Since posting, I have retried the recipe several times, and it works best for my oven after 75 minutes.
* When cooked, remove carefully from the oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes. Then carefully remove the aluminium paper. Fluff rice with a fork, throw in your add-ins and mix evenly. Serve warm.
1. Rinse rice and drain.
2. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
3. Next, add onions, thyme, and garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes or until the onion becomes soft and translucent.
4. Add rice, and season with paprika, bouillon, salt, and pepper.
5. Cook, stirring often until fragrant, for about 30 seconds, and brown occasionally stirring, for about 2-3 minutes.
6. Pour tomato sauce, chicken broth, and hot pepper, if any, into the saucepan.
7. Bring to a boil, stirring once or twice. Reduce heat to low, cover saucepan, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, for 15-18 minutes.
8. Remove pan from heat, let it sit covered for 5 minutes, then fluff rice with a fork or serving spoon. Then throw in sauteed veggies and beef, chicken, and shrimp (if desired) and mix.
9. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Serving: 175g| Calories: 559kcal (28%)| Carbohydrates: 80g (27%)| Protein: 10g (20%)| Fat: 22g (34%)| Saturated Fat: 3g (19%)| Sodium: 1443mg (63%)| Potassium: 642mg (18%)| Fiber: 6g (25%)| Sugar: 4g (4%)| Vitamin A: 5685IU (114%)| Vitamin C: 19.9mg (24%)| Calcium: 69mg (7%)| Iron: 3.1mg (17%)