Slow-roasting is a great way to keep chicken nice and moist. Adding the potatoes to the roasting tin infuses them with plenty of flavour, too
- butter, for greasing
- 1.6kg chicken
- 1kg roasting potatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 2 whole garlic heads, halved through the middle
- 100ml white wine
- 100ml chicken stock
- 2 stems rosemary, broken into sprigs
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Brush a large roasting tin all over with butter and smear some over the skin of the chicken.
- STEP 2
Place the chicken in the tin and arrange the potatoes around it. Put the halved garlic heads in the tin, pour over the white wine and stock, then cover with foil and place in the oven. Cook for 1 hr then remove the foil and give the potatoes a shake. Add the herbs and lemon wedges, then cook uncovered for 50 mins.
- STEP 3
Turn the heat up to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Cook for 30 mins more, then remove the chicken and potatoes from the pan. Cover the chicken loosely with foil and leave to rest on a plate for at least 10 mins before carving. Keep the potatoes warm. Serve with any pan juices.
Roast chicken traybake
This easy, healthy chicken traybake needs just 10 minutes prep, then you can pop in the oven and let the flavours of lime, garlic, paprika and thyme come together
- 2 red onions (320g), sliced across into rings
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and chopped into 3cm pieces
- 300g potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin and any fat removed
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 200g long stem broccoli, stem cut into lengths if very thick
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the onion, pepper, potatoes and oil in a non-stick roasting tin and toss everything together. Roast for 15 mins while you rub the chicken with the lime zest, garlic, paprika and thyme. Take the veg from the oven, stir, then snuggle the chicken thighs among the veg, covering them with some of the onions so they don’t dry out as it roasts for 40 mins.
- STEP 2
As you approach the end of the cooking time, mix 200ml boiling water with the bouillon powder. Take the roasting tin from the oven, add the broccoli to the tin, and pour over the hot stock followed by the lime juice, then quickly cover with the foil and put back in the oven for 10 more mins until the broccoli is just tender.