Sizzling fajitas are always a favourite but these low-calorie chicken fajitas are healthy, light and super quick – the perfect combo!
– 3 tsp ground cumin
– 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
– 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
– 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
– 5 drops of liquid hickory smoke
– 2 Chicken Breasts, thinly sliced crossways
– 60ml (1 ⁄4 cup) olive oil
– 1 red capsicum, deseeded, cut into thin strips
– 1 yellow capsicum, deseeded, cut into thin strips
– 1 green capsicum, deseeded, cut into thin strips
– 8 small cos lettuce leaves
– 2 avocados, flesh mashed
– Lime wedges, to serve
Pico de gallo
– 4 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
– 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
– 1 ⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
– 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
– 1 tsp sea salt flakes
5 Method / Steps
Place cumin, oregano and chilli in a mortar and pound with a pestle until coarsely crushed. Place the spice mixture in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the lime juice, liquid hickory smoke, chicken and half the oil. Mix until well combined.
To make the pico de gallo, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
Preheat a barbecue flat plate or a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Heat 1 tbsp of remaining oil on the barbecue plate or pan. Add combined capsicum and cook for 2 minutes or until just charred and slightly softened. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the remaining oil and cook one-third of the chicken for 2 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through. (Be careful not to overcook.) Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining chicken in 2 more batches, adding a little more oil, if necessary.
Take 2 lettuce leaves and place them together to form a boat (stem ends overlapping and curled tops at each end). Repeat with the remaining lettuce leaves. Divide the chicken among the lettuce cups. Top with the avocado, capsicum and pico de gallo. Season and serve with lime wedges.
source – tastecom