Not your everyday banana bread, this healthy loaf is loaded with oats, nuts and fibre-boosting zucchini.
1h 10m cook
* 235g (11 ⁄2 cups) wholemeal spelt flour
* 50g (1 ⁄4 cup) coconut sugar
* 35g (1 ⁄3 cup) rolled oats
* 2 tbsp chia seeds
* 20g walnut halves
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
* 125ml (1 ⁄2 cup) buttermilk
* 60ml (1 ⁄4 cup) light extra virgin olive oil
* 2 eggs
* 260g (1 cup) mashed ripe banana
* 1 small (about 120g) zucchini, coarsely grated
* Honey with honeycomb, to serve (optional)
* Fresh low-fat ricotta, to serve (optional)
* 1 tbsp rolled oats
* 1 tsp chia seeds
* 1 tsp coconut sugar
* 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
7 Method / Steps
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease and line the base and sides of a 9.5 x 19.5cm loaf pan, allowing the paper to overhang the sides.
To make the topping, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
Combine flour, coconut sugar, oats, chia seeds, baking powder, cinnamon and bicarb in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Stir in walnut halves.
Whisk buttermilk, oil and eggs in a jug and pour into the well. Add banana and zucchini. Stir until just combined. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with topping.
Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Drizzle over the honey and serve with a dollop of low-fat ricotta, if desired.
source – tastecom