No one can resist a custard slice. Delicious layers of crisp pastry and creamy confectioner’s custard.
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
SERVES: Makes 12 – 18 slices
3 x 400g Rolls Puff Pastry
– 250ml SPAR Full Cream Milk
– 250ml Cornflour
– 125ml Custard Powder
– 375ml Castor Sugar
– A pinch of Salt
– 500ml Cream
– 625ml Full Cream Milk
– 45ml Choice Butter
– 4 Extra Large Eggs
– 5ml Vanilla Essence
– 250ml Icing Sugar
– 10–15 ml Boiling Water
* Preheat the oven to 200°C. Unroll the 3 rolls of puff pastry. Place each on a baking tray that has been lined with foil. Bake for 15–20 minutes until golden brown. Liftoff the baking tray using the foil. Place the first piece into a rectangular dish about 22cm x 30cm.
* For the filling: Mix the 250ml milk, cornflour, custard powder, castor sugar and salt together.
* Heat the cream and 625ml milk in a saucepan until hot. Slowly stir in the custard mixture. Stir over heat until it thickens and is smooth.
* Remove the custard from the heat. Separate the eggs and stir the egg yolks, butter and vanilla essence into the thick custard mixture.
* Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the custard.
* Spoon half of the custard over the pastry in the dish. Place the second piece on top. Top with remaining custard and the last piece of pastry. Refrigerate overnight.
* Mix icing sugar and boiling water together until smooth. Spoon over the pastry and serve sliced.
Hints & Tips
Always use eggs that are at room temperature for baking. They whip up to a greater volume making your baking light and delicious.
Source – Spar