We have taken all the best bits of a classic Greek yiros and turned it into a flavour-packed pie. With zesty chicken thighs, deliciously salty fetta, fragrant herbs and crispy hot chips, this pie makes the ultimate family dinner.
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 700g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, thickly sliced
– 1 red onion, finely chopped
– 3 garlic cloves, crushed
– 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
– 2 tbsp plain flour
– 375ml (11 ⁄2 cups) Massel Organic Chicken Liquid Stock
– 60ml (1 ⁄4 cup) fresh lemon juice
– 120g packet of baby spinach
– 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
– 500g frozen straight-cut chips
– 100g feta, crumbled
– 1 large tomato, deseeded, finely chopped
– 1 ⁄4 cup small fresh mint leaves
– 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
4 Method / Steps
Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan forced. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
Add onion, garlic and oregano to the pan. Stir for 1 minute or until aromatic. Stir in the flour until coated. Gradually stir in stock and juice.
Return the chicken and any juices to the pan. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in the spinach and lemon rind. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the spinach wilts.
Transfer mixture to a 2L (8 cups) baking dish. Scatter over the chips. Bake for 30 minutes or until the chips are golden and cooked through. Top with the feta, tomato, mint and dill to serve.
source – tastecom