Braised beef topside is a delicious and easy-to-prepare dish that is sure to please any crowd. Follow this step-by-step guide to ensure a succulent and flavorful meal.
Step 1: Gather the ingredients. You will need a 2-3 pound beef topside, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of dried thyme, 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 cup of beef broth, and 1 cup of red wine.
Step 2: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 3: Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe pot over medium-high heat.
Step 4: Add the beef topside to the pot and brown it on all sides. This should take about 5 minutes.
Step 5: Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
Step 6: Add the onion and garlic to the pot and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Step 7: Add the thyme, rosemary, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
Step 8: Return the beef to the pot and pour in the beef broth and red wine.
Step 9: Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
Step 10: Place the pot in the preheated oven and cook for 2-3 hours, or until the beef is tender.
Step 11: Remove the pot from the oven and let the beef rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious braised beef topside!
Tips for Perfectly Braising Beef Topside Every Time
1. Start by seasoning the beef topside with salt and pepper. This will help to bring out the flavor of the meat.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the beef topside and sear it on both sides until it is golden brown.
3. Once the beef is seared, reduce the heat to low and add a cup of beef broth or stock.
4. Cover the skillet and let the beef simmer for about an hour, or until it is tender.
5. After an hour, check the beef for doneness. If it is not yet tender, add a bit more broth and continue to simmer until it is cooked through.
6. Once the beef is cooked, remove it from the skillet and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
7. Serve the beef with your favorite sides and enjoy!
What to Serve with Braised Beef Topside
Braised beef topside is a delicious and hearty dish that can be served as a main course. To complete the meal, it is best to serve it with a variety of side dishes that will complement the beef.
A good option is to serve a starch such as mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes, or rice. These will help to soak up the delicious sauce from the beef. For a lighter option, couscous or quinoa can also be served.
Vegetables are also a great accompaniment to braised beef topside. Roasted vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, and Brussels sprouts are a great option. Alternatively, steamed vegetables such as broccoli, green beans, or asparagus are also a good choice.
Finally, a salad is a great way to add some freshness to the meal. A simple green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing is a great option. Alternatively, a tomato and cucumber salad with a light balsamic dressing is also a delicious choice.
Creative Ways to Use Leftover Braised Beef Topside
Leftover braised beef topside can be used in a variety of creative ways. Here are some ideas to help you make the most of your leftovers.
1. Beef Stew: Make a hearty beef stew by combining the beef topside with potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions. Simmer in a flavorful broth until the vegetables are tender.
2. Beef Stroganoff: Make a classic beef stroganoff by combining the beef topside with mushrooms, onions, and a creamy sauce. Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
3. Beef Burritos: Make a delicious beef burrito by combining the beef topside with beans, rice, and your favorite burrito toppings. Wrap in a warm tortilla and enjoy.
4. Beef Quesadillas: Make a tasty beef quesadilla by combining the beef topside with cheese, peppers, and onions. Grill in a hot skillet until the cheese is melted and the quesadilla is golden brown.
5. Beef Tacos: Make a flavorful beef taco by combining the beef topside with tomatoes, lettuce, and your favorite taco toppings. Serve in a warm tortilla and enjoy.
These are just a few of the many creative ways to use leftover braised beef topside. With a little imagination, you can create delicious meals that will make the most of your leftovers.