A delicious cross between carrot cake and banana loaf, topped with a rich, cream cheese icing.
DIFFICULTY – Medium
PREP TIME – 10 minutes
COOKING TIME – 45 minutes
melted butter, to grease
2 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 large free-range eggs
1 cup soft dark brown sugar
zest of 1 orange
1 cup canola oil
2 cups, grated carrot (about 4 medium carrots)
1 ½ cups mashed bananas (about 4 large bananas)
¼ cup desiccated coconut½ cup roughly chopped pecan nuts, plus extra to decorate the top of the cake
FOR THE ICING
100g grams of butter (room temperature)
2 ½ cups icing sugar
175g cream cheese
2 tsp milk
2 tsp lemon juice
* Preheat your oven to 150°C. Grease two 22cm round cake tins with melted butter.
* Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon together.
* Beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add the orange zest and oil and continue beating.
* Fold in the sifted flour mixture until smooth, then finally fold in the grated carrots, mashed bananas, coconut and pecan nuts.
* Pour into the prepared cake tins and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the tins for 20 minutes to cool before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
* To make the icing, use an electric mixer to beat all the ingredients until light and fluffy. Once the cake is cooled, ice and decorate the top with chopped nuts.
source – SPAR