Slices of roasted butternut layered with a rich bolognaise and creamy bechamel sauce.
DIFFICULTY – Medium
PREP TIME – 2hr
COOKING TIME – 30 mins
SERVES – 4-6
2 medium butternuts, peeled and the pips removed
3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil and extra for the mince
2 tsp (10ml) chopped thyme
1 onion, peeled and finely diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
500g beef mince
1 sachet (50g) tomato paste
1 can (410g) diced tomato
1 cup (250ml) beef stock
2 sprigs rosemary
salt and freshly milled pepper
1 tsp (5ml) sugar
5 Tbsp (75ml) butter
½ cup (125ml) cake flour
3 cups (750ml)
1 cup (250ml) grated mature cheddar
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Carefully slice the butternut into 1cm-thick slices.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and thyme leaves and season well with salt and pepper.
4. Roast for 40 minutes or until cooked.
5. For the mince, cook the onion and garlic in a generous splash of olive oil until soft and brown.
6. Add the mince and cook for another 10 minutes or so, until well-browned.
7. Add the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes, then add the canned tomato, beef stock and rosemary.
8. Cook for 1 hour over low to medium heat.
9. Season well with salt, pepper and sugar.
10. To make the white sauce, melt the butter and add the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
11. Add the milk and whisk the whole time to make sure all the lumps are out.
12. Cook over medium heat until the sauce is nice and thick.
13. Season well with salt and pepper.
14. Layer the white sauce, mince and butternut in a medium oven-proof dish, ending with the grated cheese.
15. Bake at 200C for 30 minutes or until the cheese is nice and golden.