Salty bacon combines with spicy, tangy kimchi to make this easy midweek fried rice. Top with a fried egg and some chilli sauce and you are good to go
- 6 rashers streaky smoked bacon, cut into 1cm/½in wide strips
- 100g/3½oz kimchi, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 500g/1lb 2oz cooked long-grain rice (approx. 175g/6oz uncooked rice)
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 free-range eggs
- chilli sauce, to serve
Cook the bacon in a large frying pan until it starts to crisp. Stir in the kimchi and carrot and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and continue to cook, stirring regularly until the rice is piping hot. Stir in the chilli flakes, soy sauce and most of the spring onions.
Divide the fried rice between four shallow bowls.
Wipe out the frying pan with kitchen paper, then heat the oil in the pan and quickly fry the eggs until done to your liking and place on top of the rice. Scatter over the remaining spring onions and serve with the chilli sauce.